Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Flying Sidekick

I went to class again tonight because Donna and I skipped Monday and Tuesday (we went to high belt family class tonight).

We started off with double front snap kick and double punch. Then we moved on to practicing skipping roundhouse kicks facing the mirriors. After that, we did a sparring drill where we had to attack with a skipping roundhouse kick and then our partner would block and punch. Then we switched jobs. We moved on to doing another sparring drill. We had to do a skipping roundhouse kick and our partner would slide back and roundhouse kick to our face. Again, we switched jobs. When we were done with that, we turned to face the mirriors as we were instructed. We were going to do jumping back kicks. Let me tell you, any time the words 'jumping' and 'kick' are in the same sentence, Donna and I just look at each other and moan. So, anyway, we tried our hardest and when we had practiced 'enough' (and I use the term loosely) we got big shield targets and started using jumping back kicks on those. We were okay. We started off terrible, but we got slowly better. As soon as we kind of figured out what we were doing, Master Kim called out, "Free sparring, no contact." I don't exactly love those words either. So Donna and I attempted to sparr. We did a few good kicks and I even blocked and punched as I never do. I punch a lot though. Later, Master Kim said the dreaded words..."Happy Thursday!"...to which we all reply, begrudgingly, "Happy Saturday, Sir!". As you've probably realized, 'Happy... (whatever day it is)" is not a good thing. That means we have to do sit-ups and push ups. So we did. Following that, we had our one minute break and came back for curriculum. Again, it was one step sparring and self defense. So Mr. Poccobello was working with us, some kids, and another lady. We went through it step-by-step and then Mr. Poccobello sent Donna and I to work on our own. We actually weren't doing too bad. And I did really well at the flying sidekick! I got so excited when I kind of, sort of did it right. I felt much better than I did after last night's class. I'm happy now! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment